Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Hand You're Dealt

In volunteer organizations, you often have to play the hand that you are dealt. In a previous post, I talked about having the VP's take a greater role in specific areas of chapter business. It seems to me, after discussing with my mom, that this is probably something that we should have been doing already. Our recent troubles with a president, in which he claims he didn't know what he was getting into & no one helped, might have been averted had he been asked as 1st VP or 2nd VP to take a larger hand in chapter business. I guess the presidents of those years wanted to do too much themselves & had difficulty delegating responsibility. Or maybe, they were simply playing the hand they were dealt & felt others would step up if they trully wanted to step up.

I have no idea who my 2nd VP will be. I have discussed the 1st VP previously. I don't believe I want to stand pat & let her coast as she has been, missing meetings, etc. Perhaps I should put her in charge of membership recruitment & retention....

I will have to play with the officers and board that are given to me. To a certain degree, I have to play with the committee chairs I'm given. We seem to have constant vacancies, so how can I ask someone to step down who's willing to serve?

I probably need to define roles, both in my own mind & to the individuals, with an eye to chapter history, so that everyone knows what he or she needs to be doing. Let's start with the VP's & committee chairs.

Previously, I said 1 VP should assist in membership recruitment & 1 VP should assist in chapter management (programs, house, planning, special events). Which is more important? Probably right now the membership, so that should go to the 1st VP. I need to better define the "chapter management" portion for the 2nd VP.

No comments: