Monday, May 19, 2014

Its Not What You Know, but Who You Know

Driving to work in the mornings, I listen to CBS Radio's TBD in the Morning, a sports talk show hosted by Tiki Barber, Brandon Tierney and Dana Jacobsen. While they typically stick to hard sports news and analysis, the conversation sometimes splits off into popular culture items that interest them: usually music and movies. They also occasionally use Tiki's status as a retired NFL running back and the wealth that generated as a launching pad for various topics. One such conversation took place today.

While discussing Justin Timberlake's acceptance speech as Top Artist from the Billboard Music Awards the previous night, the trio quickly began discussing the less popular members of N'Sync and other boy bands from the 1980's. A web site was consulted that estimates various celebrity's net worth which led to a discussion of what happens when you have enough money to not work any more, regardless of age. I presume Tiki is in this situation and simply chooses to work in radio to fill the days and any emotional needs that he has related to his work ethic and sense of self worth.

Tiki is a 1997 graduate of the University of Virginia's McIntire School of Commerce where he concentrated in management information systems and earned ACC Honor Roll recognition. He likes to point out on air that he was also valedictorian of his high school graduating class. This is no dumb jock and today he confirmed my presumption about his financial net worth. But, Tiki took it a step further but saying life is not as much about what you know or what you do, but about who you know. He believes that much of his post-playing career success is related to some of the people he met while playing in New York for the Giants. I got the sense listening today, that he feels he may not have had the same opportunities after football had he been playing in a smaller market. 

I sometimes feel the same way. For the past 15 years, I've practiced architecture in Baltimore, MD, a reasonably large city but one that has close proximity to Washington, DC and Philadelphia. Through my business activities, I've become acquainted with many professionals in Baltimore and in both Washington and Philadelphia. Just by doing my job day and day out, I'm amassed a reasonable network of professionals who know me, know my skills and could help me in my career.

The recent recession of 2007 through 2009 caused me to take a harder look at my professional network. I've been an active member of CSI since 2000. I attended my first national convention in Dallas in 2001 and I have attended every convention since Las Vegas in 2006. I can probably count the number of Baltimore Chapter meetings that I've missed in the last 14 years on the fingers of less than two hands. My involvement in CSI has caused my "reasonable" professional network to balloon into a great network of construction professionals from Burlington, VT to Dallas, TX to Portland, OR and many spots in between. When I looked at my professional network, I realized that it had little to do with the size market and I work in and everything to do with my involvement in CSI. From that moment on, I never feared being out of work because I know too many people to remain out of work for more than a few weeks. 

Regardless of the size of your professional network, you can always work on growing and strengthening it. CSI is a great venue to do just that. Compared to many professional organizations, CSI's dues are reasonable and our local, regional and national events provide excellent value in education and networking opportunities. We have over 140 chapters so no matter where you live and work, there should be one or more chapters nearby. From now until May 31, 2014, CSI is running a membership special: join CSI and pay only $192 for national dues -- a 20% savings. To take advantage of this offer:

Log onto www.csinet.org/join
Select "Join Now", and then click "Sign Up as a New Member"
Enter Promotion Code CSIsocial14 when prompted
Click the "Add Discount" button

Make sure to also join a local chapter, where you can attend local education sessions and networking opportunities. While chapter dues are not included in this promotional offer, chapters provide an incredible value to already low national dues. 

Get active and increase your knowledge and strengthen your network by Joining CSI today!

No comments: