Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Summer Planning Mtgs

Our Chapter holds monthly membership meetings 10 months out of the year - September through June. June has historically been our awards banquet. I'm all about giving awards & recognizing important contributions to the chapter, but these sorts of banquets tend to be real snoozers. To that end, the June meeting typically is the poorest attended of them all. Lately, we've had a normal program in June, but attendance still lags. Last year, fully 1/2 of the awards I had to give were to people NOT in attendance!

All that to say, the chapter by-laws require the board to meet monthly, regardless of the schedule of the membership meetings. This means, the board MUST meet in July and August on its own. Typically, the summer meetings have been used to plan the coming year. If memory serves, when Bill Grabowski & Liz Stone were president, the board met more than twice across the summer. This is what I'm thinking of doing. Technically, I guess I'm not president until July 1, but I think we can sneak a planning meeting in ahead of then.

The burning question - what is the agenda for these meetings? Based on previous posts, I need to meet with most committee chairs ahead of then & I probably need to meet with my 2 VP's ahead of that. But then what?

I suspect the first board meeting will be to show my master plan. What is my master plan other than let's get more members, get more members to attend the meetings and then get more members active in committees and management of the chapter. A piece of the plan is how to better utilize the VP's to assist in chapter business. Another piece is the National Convention next summer & preparing for that. But what else?

No comments: